Almost a year already
I cannot believe it's been almost a year since I last blogged. Time flies. Sure do hope I don't blog once per year lol, that would just show my ridiculous laziness.
Last time I blogged, I was back home in my country Burma. And here I am, blogging after almost a year, five thousand seven hundred and forty-two miles away from home. It gets a little crazy, how far you've come from your loved ones. Exactly 11 months ago I remember saying my goodbyes to family and friends, hopped on the darn planes with horrible long-lasting transits and got here to Belfast, in Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland. Ireland. Who would have thought? The only thing I knew concerning Ireland was St. Patrick's day when we had to have something green on us in high school and we didn't even know anything about St.Patrick. All we knew was this whole thing originated from Ireland. That was the only thing I knew about Ireland.
Always thought I'd end up in Iowa, or New York, Cali or Sydney or maybe somewhere else in Auzzie for college. Didn't even think of London cause from what I heard before, apparently the UK was for "nerds". Who would have thought it was all wrong, what they say about the UK? For some reasons, Belfast became my first choice. Honestly I wasn't even sure if I made the right choice by choosing Belfast by the time I got here. Hell I didn't even know Northern Ireland was under the UK until like 3 weeks after I got here, I was unsure about everything. Just before I left Burma, my relatives would tell me that the place I was going to was going to be the rural part of UK with nothing but farms and animals. That everything would close by the evening and there would be no human beings walking around in town at night. That Belfast wouldn't be a civilised city. I swear all I did was, tell myself that they were all wrong, that it wouldn't be that terrible given that there were still a few burmese people here and the university had pretty good rankings for science. I mean, at least it all looked good in the book and on google so I was like, "Nah It'll all be fine, you'll fit right in in that beautiful place, you'll have the uni life perfectly the way you've pictured it to be." I wasn't even sure myself deep down.
Goodbyes were hard, very hard. Obviously the airport part; broke my heart. I was the one to secretly cry in the toilet on the very few school trips that I went on just because I missed my parents. My mom was the one to cry a little and get upset when she sent me to the bus for those trips even though it was only a few days. My dad was the one with the never ending 'Don't do this's and 'Don't do that's cause he always worries over every single thing. My parents were like little kids, they still are. Just like me. emotional little kids. So imagine the airport part. I travelled all the way to London bawling my eyes out like a stupid baby. What hurt me the most was seeing my parents cry. And it still hurts.
When we arrived to London, I parted ways with my sister. She went on the plane to Manchester, and me on the one to Belfast. It was empty, knowing someone you saw everyday, talked to everyday, shared the same room with for 17 years, was going to be away from you from then on. My sister is always more of a little sister for me. She was always the careless happy one. So with all the making sure that she got on the right plane, didn't even cry. I knew she'd be okay. Everywhere she goes, people love her.
An hour later, I got here. Belfast. I was kinda aware of the weather before, but I didn't expect it to be that gloomy and windy. The airport was shit. The weather was shit. I had to borrow 1£ coin from someone just to get a cart for my suitcases. As soon as I got to my accommodation(the names is elms, btw), I struggled with the Irish accent they had from the reception. For a terrible map reader like me, I pretty much got to all the places in Elms with my suitcases before I found my apartment, which by the way was located pretty far back from the entrance. *Exhales deeply*
As soon as I entered my room, the first thing I did was go crazy. because. my. room. was. so. fucking. small. and. it. looked. like. a. place. where. they. locked. up. mental. people.
And of course the second thing I did was cry.
And the third thing, connected to the wifi.
And cried again a little bit maybe.
I was being so dramatic and immature, I wanted to go back home so badly but I knew I couldn't. It was a terrible experience. A lot of people told me I'd have to face this and eventually it'd b over but I did not see a way out of it. I thought I'd have to be crying everydayyyyy, all the timeee, but no.
They were right.
Eventually things do get better. You start to fit right in. You meet people. You face difficulties. You handle them alone. You go insane. You get mature. You go broke. You struggle with food. You overcome it. You learn lessons; Bad ones. Good ones. Memories; good moments. bad moments. I've gained so much along the way. I've also lost.
Different people with stories from different countries. Different characteristics. different experiences. Time differences. Cultural and Language differences.
Friendships. A relationship. Attachments. Changes.
Maturity. Strength.
And Of course, I still miss my family. every single day. But I'm learning a lot here. I'm becoming a better person on my own here. There's no one here like family to help me with problems that I have to go through alone, and when I struggle and handle them on my own, I'm proud cause it tells me I'm one step closer to becoming capable of taking care of my family one day.
Exactly 11 months ago, if you asked me if I thought it was going to be a wonderful place for me, I wouldn't say a no, But I was definitely uncertain and scared.
But today, now, I feel like I fit in so well with this lifestyle already. Like Belfast is where I have to be for years and where I belong for now. 11 Months full of different experiences on my own grew me love for this place. It tells me I didn't make the wrong choice after all, by choosing to be five thousand seven hundred and forty-two miles away from home.
Last time I blogged, I was back home in my country Burma. And here I am, blogging after almost a year, five thousand seven hundred and forty-two miles away from home. It gets a little crazy, how far you've come from your loved ones. Exactly 11 months ago I remember saying my goodbyes to family and friends, hopped on the darn planes with horrible long-lasting transits and got here to Belfast, in Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland. Ireland. Who would have thought? The only thing I knew concerning Ireland was St. Patrick's day when we had to have something green on us in high school and we didn't even know anything about St.Patrick. All we knew was this whole thing originated from Ireland. That was the only thing I knew about Ireland.
Always thought I'd end up in Iowa, or New York, Cali or Sydney or maybe somewhere else in Auzzie for college. Didn't even think of London cause from what I heard before, apparently the UK was for "nerds". Who would have thought it was all wrong, what they say about the UK? For some reasons, Belfast became my first choice. Honestly I wasn't even sure if I made the right choice by choosing Belfast by the time I got here. Hell I didn't even know Northern Ireland was under the UK until like 3 weeks after I got here, I was unsure about everything. Just before I left Burma, my relatives would tell me that the place I was going to was going to be the rural part of UK with nothing but farms and animals. That everything would close by the evening and there would be no human beings walking around in town at night. That Belfast wouldn't be a civilised city. I swear all I did was, tell myself that they were all wrong, that it wouldn't be that terrible given that there were still a few burmese people here and the university had pretty good rankings for science. I mean, at least it all looked good in the book and on google so I was like, "Nah It'll all be fine, you'll fit right in in that beautiful place, you'll have the uni life perfectly the way you've pictured it to be." I wasn't even sure myself deep down.
Goodbyes were hard, very hard. Obviously the airport part; broke my heart. I was the one to secretly cry in the toilet on the very few school trips that I went on just because I missed my parents. My mom was the one to cry a little and get upset when she sent me to the bus for those trips even though it was only a few days. My dad was the one with the never ending 'Don't do this's and 'Don't do that's cause he always worries over every single thing. My parents were like little kids, they still are. Just like me. emotional little kids. So imagine the airport part. I travelled all the way to London bawling my eyes out like a stupid baby. What hurt me the most was seeing my parents cry. And it still hurts.
When we arrived to London, I parted ways with my sister. She went on the plane to Manchester, and me on the one to Belfast. It was empty, knowing someone you saw everyday, talked to everyday, shared the same room with for 17 years, was going to be away from you from then on. My sister is always more of a little sister for me. She was always the careless happy one. So with all the making sure that she got on the right plane, didn't even cry. I knew she'd be okay. Everywhere she goes, people love her.
An hour later, I got here. Belfast. I was kinda aware of the weather before, but I didn't expect it to be that gloomy and windy. The airport was shit. The weather was shit. I had to borrow 1£ coin from someone just to get a cart for my suitcases. As soon as I got to my accommodation(the names is elms, btw), I struggled with the Irish accent they had from the reception. For a terrible map reader like me, I pretty much got to all the places in Elms with my suitcases before I found my apartment, which by the way was located pretty far back from the entrance. *Exhales deeply*
As soon as I entered my room, the first thing I did was go crazy. because. my. room. was. so. fucking. small. and. it. looked. like. a. place. where. they. locked. up. mental. people.
And of course the second thing I did was cry.
And the third thing, connected to the wifi.
And cried again a little bit maybe.
I was being so dramatic and immature, I wanted to go back home so badly but I knew I couldn't. It was a terrible experience. A lot of people told me I'd have to face this and eventually it'd b over but I did not see a way out of it. I thought I'd have to be crying everydayyyyy, all the timeee, but no.
They were right.
Eventually things do get better. You start to fit right in. You meet people. You face difficulties. You handle them alone. You go insane. You get mature. You go broke. You struggle with food. You overcome it. You learn lessons; Bad ones. Good ones. Memories; good moments. bad moments. I've gained so much along the way. I've also lost.
Different people with stories from different countries. Different characteristics. different experiences. Time differences. Cultural and Language differences.
Friendships. A relationship. Attachments. Changes.
Maturity. Strength.
And Of course, I still miss my family. every single day. But I'm learning a lot here. I'm becoming a better person on my own here. There's no one here like family to help me with problems that I have to go through alone, and when I struggle and handle them on my own, I'm proud cause it tells me I'm one step closer to becoming capable of taking care of my family one day.
![]() |
| Home and Second Home <3 |

Comments
Post a Comment